Ten percent on me?

An opinion in the WSJ is about The 10% President. “Now we know: It turns out the figure is 10%. The other 90% is somebody else’s fault.”

Inherited the biggest deficit in our history? Nope, that was back in WWII. Then it was north of 20% of the economy. In 2008 it was 3.2% and in 2009, the budget that was delayed until after the Democrats took over both the executive and legislative branches, it went to 10% of GDP.

Then there’s the ‘Bush Tax Cuts’ and the wars as reasons for the deficit, Facts of the matter are that revenue rose after the tax cuts as they usually do and the amount spent on the wars was small in comparison to other federal expenditures.

“The pre-eminent political question now is whether to reform the government we have to make it affordable going forward, or to keep growing the government and raise taxes to finance it, if that is even possible.

Mr. Obama favors the second option, though he pretends he can merely tax the rich to do it. Nobody who has looked honestly at the numbers believes that—not his own Simpson-Bowles commission and not the Congressional “super committee” he sanctioned but then worked to undermine.

At every turn he has demagogued the Romney-Ryan proposals to modernize the entitlement state so it is affordable, and he personally blew up the “grand bargain” House Speaker John Boehner was willing to strike last summer.”

There is more in the opinion as each ‘talking point’ is taken apart. The problem is that there are many, too many it seems, like the Limbaugh caller who claimed that Bush had written the entire tax code, or perhaps like the substitute NFL referees and what they did to the Packers tonight. Sometimes, what is in front of your face just isn’t enough.

Comments are closed.